February is LGBTQ+ History Month, and normally we would be welcoming an inspiring speaker to Nuffield, and holding our annual LGBTQ+ dinner whilst the rainbow Pride flag flies over College.
In recent years we have been lucky enough to hear from Lord Smith of Finsbury, Master of Pembroke College, Cambridge and former Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport; award-winning novelist Jeanette Winterson CBE; and Dame Angela Eagle MP, at our events to mark the month. We are so grateful for their insight, good humour and generosity in sharing their experiences.
This year is inevitably a little different, given the pandemic restrictions, but our commitment to supporting and celebrating the LGBTQ+ members of our community remains as strong as ever.
Our Library team has put together a wonderful collection of books (pictured on the right) available in Nuffield Library on LGBTQ+ themes. If you are interested, you can find the full list on SOLO.
This February there is a range of online events taking place across Oxford to inform and educate about LGBTQ+ History, and to celebrate the contributions of LGBTQ+ people, a few of which are linked below.
- The University of Oxford's LGBT+ History Month Lecture 2021 with Stonewall Sport Champions Corinne Humphreys and Michael Gunning (2 March)
- Oxford University LGBTQ Society events
- Oxford Brookes University events
- 'A Great Unrecorded History - LGBTQ+ History and Heritage' free online talk by City of Westminster Libraries & Archives (26 February)
- Oxford Pride events and information